Acquire the knowledge to audit patient records for compliance, ensure medical record privacy, understand the legal and regulatory requirements of the patient’s electronic health record, and abstract clinical information for reports.
The Electronic Health Records Specialist program provides you with the skills for maintaining patient records and documents and prepares you with the knowledge to earn the Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS) certification. The courses in this program include Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medical Terminology along with Electronic Health Records.
Becoming an Electronic Health Records Specialist is ideal for the individual who wants to focus their work efforts in the front or back office handling patient data. The responsibilities of a person with this certification involve proper handling of patient data, medical record management, medical office procedures and more.
- Access 24/7 to all online video content, course materials and other resources.
- Instructor led video training is provided for every course. Additional resources may also include courseware (text/workbooks), software demos, labs, quizzes, final exams, and more.
- Programs are self-paced with a recommended schedule provided in order to complete within the defined duration of 3-6 months, depending on the program. You have the ability to customize your schedule within the duration of the program to meet your personal needs.
- textbooks and workbooks. Depending on the program, you may also receive flashcards, study sheets, or other textbooks.
- Our online Learning Management System maintains your progress throughout the program, keeping you organized and on track.
- Individual online mentoring support is available Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET, and Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET.
- All training content will be accessible for 12 months. This allows you time to prepare for your Certification Exam after completing your 3-6 month program.
- The cost to sit for each exam one time is covered in the price of the program.
CEHRS – Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist
The Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS) certification is nationally-recognized and shows employers that you have the competence and expertise to succeed in a role as an Electronic Health Record Specialist. With the importance of patient record accuracy, completeness, privacy and security, the Electronic Health Record Specialist plays a vital role in the medical industry. The National Healthcareer Association (NHA) offers the Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS) credential.
Tasks performed by an Electronic Health Record Specialist may include:
- Audit patient records to ensure compliance
- Document clinical information and abstract for reports
- Perform basic coding and submit claims for insurance reimbursement
- Collect insurance information and patient demographics
- Review the accuracy and completeness of patient records
- Document information from patient examinations, schedule treatments and process laboratory tests
- Discuss patient information with physicians and insurance professionals
Attainable Healthcare Positions
Electronic Health Records Specialist
Electronic Medical Record Associate
EMR / EHR Assistant
Health Information Administration
Medical Records Administrator
Health Information Technician
Medical Records Technician
Records Documentation Specialist
Medical Records Clerk
Medical Office Computer Specialist