Obtain the knowledge and skills needed to work in the healthcare industry with a focus on information technology and how to deploy, manage and support Healthcare IT systems in various medical settings.
The Healthcare IT Technician program provides you with the skills to begin a career in Information Technology (IT) within a healthcare environment and prepares you with the knowledge to sit for one of two exam tracks: Track 1 which consists of the Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS) certification and the CompTIA A+ Certification (exam 220-901 and 220-902), or Track 2 which consists of the CompTIA A+ Certification (exam 220-901 and 220-902) and the CompTIA Network+ Certification (exam N10-006). Both tracks train you in both healthcare and IT, however you may choose whether your focus of certification is in both Healthcare and IT or just IT. The courses included in this program are A+, Network +, Electronic Health Records, Medical Office Procedures and Administration, and Healthcare IT. See below for a description of the courses
Becoming a Healthcare IT Technician is ideal for the individual who wants to prepare for a career in the healthcare field with a focus on Information Technology. Responsibilities of individuals with these certifications include using and maintaining a variety of hardware and software, understanding a variety of technologies and networking support while having an understanding of the proper handling of patient data, medical record management, and medical office procedures.
CEHRS | A+ OR A+| Network+
- Access 24/7 to all online video content, course materials and other resources.
- Instructor led video training is provided for every course. Additional resources may also include courseware (text/workbooks), software demos, labs, quizzes, final exams, and more.
- Programs are self-paced with a recommended schedule provided in order to complete within the defined duration of 3-6 months, depending on the program. You have the ability to customize your schedule within the duration of the program to meet your personal needs.
- A “Welcome Package” is provided and includes your course schedules, logins, and access to online textbooks and workbooks. Depending on the program, you may also receive flashcards, study sheets, or other textbooks.
- Our online Learning Management System maintains your progress throughout the program, keeping you organized and on track.
- Individual online mentoring support is available Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET, and Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET.
- All training content will be accessible for 12 months. This allows you time to prepare for your Certification Exam after completing your 3-6 month program.
- The cost to sit for each exam one time is covered in the price of the program.
A+ Certification is one of the most essential IT certifications when preparing for a career in IT. It is held by over 1 million IT professionals throughout the world, recognized globally by business and governments. CompTIA, the Computing Technology Industry Association, sponsors the exam, developed and maintained by IT experts.
The following are knowledge areas measured by the A+ certification exam.
- Computer technology, networking and IT security fundamentals
- Components including hardware, peripheral, networking and security
- Types of backup media and storage devices
- Features of the motherboard
- Operating system functionality and methods of troubleshooting
- Install, configure, upgrade and maintain PCs, Windows Operating Systems, and SOHO networks
- Set up and configure various input devices including the mouse, keyboard, touch screens and other devices
- Troubleshooting tools and techniques to resolve various PC, Operating System and network connectivity issues
Network + is a networking certification recognized throughout the world in the computer industry, with its vendor neutral training to work with a variety of hardware, software and networks. Because data networks are so crucial for businesses, certified individuals are in high demand throughout the world. CompTIA, the Computing Technology Industry Association, sponsors the exam, developed and maintained by IT experts.
The following are knowledge areas measured by the Network+ certification exam.
- Basic network infrastructure management and troubleshooting
- Common networking protocols and ports
- Connectivity and performance issues
- Common network device installation and configuration
- Wired and wireless network installation and configuration
- Networking technologies
- Network design principles
- Modern network testing tools
- Wiring standards
CEHRS – Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist
The Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS) certification is nationally-recognized and shows employers that you have the competence and expertise to succeed in a role as an Electronic Health Record Specialist. With the importance of patient record accuracy, completeness, privacy and security, the Electronic Health Record Specialist plays a vital role in the medical industry. The National Healthcareer Association (NHA) offers the Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS) credential.
Tasks performed by an Electronic Health Record Specialist may include:
- Audit patient records to ensure compliance
- Document clinical information and abstract for reports
- Perform basic coding and submit claims for insurance reimbursement
- Collect insurance information and patient demographics
- Review the accuracy and completeness of patient records
- Document information from patient examinations, schedule treatments and process laboratory tests
- Discuss patient information with physicians and insurance professionals
Attainable Healthcare Positions
Implementation Support Specialist
Technical/Software Support Specialist
IT Cable Installer