Understand the basics of diagnosis and procedure coding in order to submit patient data for reimbursement as well as how to work with insurance companies, the healthcare provider and the patient to get the claim processed.
The Medical Billing Specialist program provides you with the skills for working in front or back office administration and prepares you with the knowledge to earn the Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS) certification. The courses in this program include Human Anatomy, Physiology and Medical Terminology along with Insurance and Billing, and Coding Essentials.
Becoming a Medical Billing Specialist is ideal for the person interested in working in a medical front or back office with an attention to detail. The responsibilities of a person with this certification involve entering necessary data for processing insurance claims for reimbursement, following up on rejected claims, posting insurance payments, sending patient statements and handling patient billing inquiries.
- Access 24/7 to all online video content, course materials and other resources.
- Instructor led video training is provided for every course. Additional resources may also include courseware (text/workbooks), software demos, labs, quizzes, final exams, and more.
- Programs are self-paced with a recommended schedule provided in order to complete within the defined duration of 3-6 months, depending on the program. You have the ability to customize your schedule within the duration of the program to meet your personal needs.
- A “Welcome Package” is provided and includes your course schedules, logins, and access to online textbooks and workbooks. Depending on the program, you may also receive flashcards, study sheets, or other textbooks.
- Our online Learning Management System maintains your progress throughout the program, keeping you organized and on track.
- Individual online mentoring support is available Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET, and Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET.
- All training content will be accessible for 12 months. This allows you time to prepare for your Certification Exam after completing your 3-6 month program.
- The cost to sit for each exam one time is covered in the price of the program.
CBCS – Certified Billing and Coding Specialist
The Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS) certification prepares you for entry-level employment as a medical billing/coder specialist with opportunities in physician offices, hospitals, outpatient and inpatient clinics, mental health facilities, surgery centers, nursing homes and insurance companies. This position is essential to any place that provides medical services. The National Healthcareer Association (NHA) offers the Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS) credential.
Tasks performed by a Medical Billing/Coder Specialist may include:
- Gather and review essential patient information
- Verify all required documentation is present before releasing patient information
- Assign codes for procedures and diagnoses
- Audit billing to prevent fraud and abuse
- Submit claims for reimbursement
- Coach healthcare providers on quality coding and how to achieve optimal reimbursement
Attainable Healthcare Positions
Patient Accounts Representative
Healthcare/Medical Insurance Specialist
Medical Billing Specialist
Medical Insurance Specialist
Insurance Billing Specialist
Medical Reimbursement Specialist
Billing and Coding Support