Through rigorous examination and experience, becoming a Certified Professional Coder (CPC) validates your mastery of all code sets, evaluation and management principles, and adherence to documentation and coding guidelines. The CPC is the gold standard for medical coding in physician offices.
The Certified Professional Coder program provides you with the skills to work in a physician’s office performing various medical coding responsibilities and prepares you with the knowledge to earn the Certified Professional Coder (CPC) certification. The main objective of this program is to provide you with the tools necessary to pass the CPC examination, which earns you the credential CPC-A (apprentice). One year of practical coding experience combined with the CPC-A earns you the full CPC designation. The courses included in this program are Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medical Terminology, and the Certified Professional Coder Preparation Course.
Becoming a Certified Professional coder is ideal for the individual who wants to focus their career in medical coding and is also ideal for current coders to become certified. The responsibilities of a person with this certification involve specialized data entry, classification, and record keeping procedures related to medical diagnostic, treatment, billing and insurance documentation.
- Access 24/7 to all online video content, course materials and other resources.
- Instructor led video training is provided for every course. Additional resources may also include courseware (text/workbooks), software demos, labs, quizzes, final exams, and more.
- Programs are self-paced with a recommended schedule provided in order to complete within the defined duration of 3-6 months, depending on the program. You have the ability to customize your schedule within the duration of the program to meet your personal needs.
- A “Welcome Package” is provided and includes your course schedules, logins, and access to online textbooks and workbooks. Depending on the program, you may also receive flashcards, study sheets, or other textbooks.
- Our online Learning Management System maintains your progress throughout the program, keeping you organized and on track.
- Individual online mentoring support is available Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET, and Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET.
- All training content will be accessible for 12 months. This allows you time to prepare for your Certification Exam after completing your 3-6 month program.
- The cost to sit for each exam one time is covered in the price of the program.
CPC- Certified Professional Coder
Accurate medical coding and documentation is essential to help maintain compliance and profitability within medical practices. By earning your Certified Professional Coder certification (CPC), which is the most recognized medical coding certification in the healthcare industry, and the gold standard for medical coding, you are preparing for a career as a certified medical coder which is in growing demand.
The AAPC Certified Professional Coder (CPC) certification exam measures the following knowledge areas and skill sets:
- Understand the purpose of CPT®, ICD-10-CM Volumes 1 & 2, HCPCS Level II code books
- Ability to code various patient services using CPT®, ICD-10-CM, and HCPCS Level II codes
- Ability to apply the official ICD-10-CM coding guidelines
- Know the features of HCPCS Level II Codes
- Distinguish differences between the guidelines for ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM
- Use appropriate coding conventions for diagnoses and procedure code assignments
- Knowledge of the information in the CPT® manual appendices
- Identify practical application of coding operative reports and evaluation and management services
- Describe the determination of the levels of E/M services
Attainable Healthcare Positions
Professional Medical Coder
Professional Fee Coder
Clinical Documentation Specialist
Medical Records Technician
Outpatient Medical Coder
Medical Management Specialist